Friday, June 19, 2015

The Donald. Duck!!



The more I think about it, the more I believe it's possible Donald Trump could get the R nomination. For one thing, Fox "news" seems to be falling all over the guy, giving him a full hour on Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly featuring his "first" interview.

He's the exact teabagger paradigm: bluster, wild statements, America-fuck-yeah braggadocio, pursuit of the superficial, ignorance of facts, pushing of resentment and hatred of the "other," paranoid claims about President Obama, crude, thin-skinned, hyper-inflated ego, and, most important of all, pushing the feel-good if brainless notion that there are simple, bumper-sticker-ready solutions to each and every one of our problems, including pretending they don't exist at all.

I think his star will rise steadily, especially in the early voting primary states, where he's just their kind of guy. And, were he to get the nomination, and if he were in a debate with any of the D prospects, he'd look like an idiot to anyone who knows anything, and like the reincarnation of Jesus (whose teachings they ignore), Ronald Reagan (whose failings they deny), and every one of the founding fathers (of whose writings they know nothing, really) to everyone else.

Donald Trump, in other words, is the perfect symbol of the America half the country desires. And, sadly, of how much of the world sees us.

That he paid people to attend his rally doesn't change the fact that he seems to have Fox in his pocket. I suppose I'm only half serious, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he, at least, wins a couple of primaries. If there's plenty of time for him to make a fool of himself (or, by dropping out to continue his TV show, of his believers), he's already done so enough that if that sort of thing mattered, he'd already have been laughed off the stage.

[Image source]

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine that he's in this for the long haul. I think he'll drop out at the first excuse so he can go back to claiming that he "would have won easily" as he keeps claiming about 2012. There's no way he's going to tKe a chance if actually losing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sid:

    I've about given u[p on this election.

    To paraphrase an old song whose words I find particularly apt:

    "Clowns to the left of me jokers to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle on(apparently, no one)..."

    The downward spiral continues unabated. I see no way out.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts