Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Where The Actual Bodies Are Buried



As Congressional teabaggers refuse to admit their so-called scandals are evaporating before their eyes, pursuing a president for his legal -- if sometimes politically misguided (although I'm not sure of that) --attempts at maintaining security, they (and their D counterparts, sadly) refuse to pursue the most damaging criminal activity a president has undertaken. War crimes, by all but his own definition. And, the toll it took on everyone remotely involved. From a recent suicide note, by a soldier, forced to participate in numerous torture sessions in Iraq:


... The simple truth is this: During my first deployment, I was made to participate in things, the enormity of which is hard to describe. War crimes, crimes against humanity. Though I did not participate willingly, and made what I thought was my best effort to stop these events, there are some things that a person simply can not come back from. I take some pride in that, actually, as to move on in life after being part of such a thing would be the mark of a sociopath in my mind. These things go far beyond what most are even aware of. 
To force me to do these things and then participate in the ensuing coverup is more than any government has the right to demand. Then, the same government has turned around and abandoned me. They offer no help, and actively block the pursuit of gaining outside help via their corrupt agents at the DEA. Any blame rests with them.

I understand, I think, Obama's decision not to go after his predecessors for their international crimes against humanity; either for reasons of national health, or to avoid risking his agenda (how'd that work out?), he chose to let it lie. In the long run, especially if he'd maintained the moral high ground he sought at the beginning, I think it might have been better for us all, here and abroad, had he brought the law to bear on them. But, of course, given the fracture that his mere presence has caused, the hateful, spiteful, and anti-American, undemocratic behavior of his Congressional adversaries based on virtually nothing but paranoia and cynical politics at its worst, I guess Rs would have sought, from now until doomsday (coming soon, they aver), to impeach every D president there'd ever be. For breathing.

[Image source]



No comments:

Popular posts