Saturday, March 23, 2013

Impressive



Check this out. (Click "next" in the link.)

I just spent a half day with a friend, shooting his deer rifles at a firing range. It was fun, and if I'm no Annie Oakley, I didn't embarrass myself. He knows as much about guns as I know about surgery. (Maybe.) I have no problem with that, and I'd be happy to do it again.

How is it, though, that we've become a shooting range on our streets, and in our homes? (Not to mention at gun safety classes.) Where did we go wrong? Or am I wrong in saying we went wrong?  Wayne LaPierre, for one, would rather have it continue that way, than to have any legislation whatsoever, aimed at lessening the carnage.

The horse is out of the barn, of course. Nothing -- not even background checks, the best we could hope for in legislation -- will significantly change it. But it's pretty amazing to contemplate: alone among "civilized" countries, our nation is home to nearly unimaginable horror due to guns, on a daily basis. There's nothing to be done about it. And it seems millions are fine with it.

Who are we?

[Image source]

1 comment:

  1. Wayne LaPierre, I am told, got himself out of the draft by claiming a nervous disorder, ie too mentally unfit to shoot in a war.

    So he's created a whole different one, both in his head and on our streets and we are all the worse off for it. And no wonder he doesn't want background checks: they might get him declared unfit, as he once so declared himself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts