Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hap -- penstance




For some reason I recalled this morning a little ditty from my past. Years ago a comedian (Joe E. Brown?)* was known for a bit where he'd say, "Hap.....py New Year," delaying that second syllable for several beats. My brother and I, nine months on either side of ten years old or so, found it pretty amusing. So we'd repeat it, prolonging the interval for many seconds, then minutes. Then for a few hours, when one of us, having banked a couple of "Hap"s for future use, would regale the other with a semi-unexpected "..py New Yearrrrr," laughing hysterically.

Ultimately, predictably, it became a matter of days, weeks, months. June or July, one of us would spring it on the other, hopefully in such an inappropriate situation that the recipient's laughter would bring severe admonition.

In that spirit, as this most awful of years, bundled with the most horrendous of presidential octades, comes, unmourned, to a blessed and very belated end, I say to everyone, heartfelt and full-throated:

HAP...

* Well, wouldn't you know it: my wife, who is a talented internet searcher, came up with the actual deal. Thus, I have modified this post to include the original source material.

.

7 comments:

  1. Hap....py (and healthy) New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. py New Year to you to and your loved ones too! :)

    Great story and memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...now I have to wait till July.

    You remind me of my grand husband and his 2 brothers. Will you boys EVER grow up? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hap... right back at ya'!

    All the best to you and yours, Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and yours a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year. Looking forward to your insightful commentary, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Godt

    I'm sure I've heard that repeated somewhere. I can certainly hear myself having said it at some point. But the clip rings no bells at all. Funny how these 'memes' work.

    Nytår!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, my brain is coming up with Joyeux Noel, Bonne Anniversaire, but where the heck in it is the French version of Happy New Year? Have a good year in any language, and thank you for your blogs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments back, moderated. Preference given for those who stay on topic.

Popular posts